Tuesday, December 21

Caw-mew-naa-tee (December 7)

December 7 – Community.
Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?

Poetry!! I definitely think that 2010 was the year of the Poetry Community. Both online and off there is so much flourishing, wonderful, inspiring new poetry that I can't believe my ears/eyes. From the annual poetry festival to the Stroll of Poets and other writing groups there has been so much great support here in Edmonton that I started to expand and see with the Internet(s) had to offer - to my excitement, there was a lot there too!

From my own creative challenge in October with Poe-a-Tweets and then jumping on board with the Poem A Day challenge in November I found so many great sites and forums and other e-poets that I was nothing short of thankful!
For instance there's Poetry Potluck (Mondays) on Jingle Poetry,
One Shot Wednesday at One Shot Poetry,  &
PoeticMindset.
Then the fabulous Tweeting Poets of which there are no shortage - in the most positive sense of the word.
Here are just seven great examples who I follow: Semaphore, Shashi, Pete Marshall, Leslie Moon, Theron Kennedy, Jem & Adam Dustus but try searching #poem, #poet or #poetry any hour of the day on Twitter and you're bound to find other great additions!

I think this is the first time that I felt a common bond in an online community and am quite excited to continue this adventure. I think the best part was that it was so well aligned to the discovery of the 'real-life' poetry scene & having them be so welcoming too!

Thanks Poetry! You made my 2010 way more share-y & fun. And the next time someone says poetry isn't a living, flourishing art form... I'll show them!

No comments:

Post a Comment