Monday, December 20

The Beauty of Difference (December 8)

Continuing my catching up of the Reverb10 prompts... December 8th:

Beautifully Different
Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful.

 Well only a few days ago it was brought to my attention that I was *ahem* beautifully different (although in another turn of phrase) due to my distinct lack of "doing what people expect" and because I wear purple, blue or red pants if the mood hits me. At first, I laughed at this because although I certainly considered the value of my vibrant wardrobe I didn't think people really noticed it and because I didn't think of myself as unpredictable. So even though this has been stated (and the more I think of it this isn't the first time for either comment) I am not convinced that it is really my "difference."

Exhibit A: orange boots on the office floor
I think my difference must also be in the way, the intention, the reason I do some of these things... I certainly don't don the red trousers to be flashy or attention grabbing - that feeling is one of the things I can say I absolutely detest. So my real reason? I guess it's just fun. If sometimes it makes someone laugh or starts a conversation that could brighten someone's moment/hour/day - all the better!

As for the unpredictability - maybe that's just the part of me that's always realized that none of us really have a great deal of control on how things are going to work out every second of the day... why? Well, the shocking part for me is that I don't feel like I do do that very often, but maybe, perhaps I did more this year. Thanks to whomever said "what you seek you already are." Maybe that's the theme of 2010.

So, I do things because they are fun and I think make for that moment of the day that's worth telling a story about. If that can help someone else find a story in their day, all the better. If it makes people smile and happy for even a little while = best. I guess that's what makes me "beautiful" but hope it's not THAT different from lots of other people!

No comments:

Post a Comment