Wednesday, July 14

Oxymorons

I want to find out who invented oxymorons. I think they are quite wonderful (this illustrious inventor and his/her invention). I must admit that oxymorons are the most wonderful of all when used ironically but, simultaneously aren't so asinine that they cause me a frustration induced migraine.

It's hard, like with so many potentially annoying things (such as the blatant misuse of the apostrophe) to ascertain where one can draw a line between uncontrollable giggles of amusement and forceful vigilante vengeance. It's a subtle distinction. It is also a subtle understanding. An understanding of language that doesn’t always find itself in common practice. I’m definitely not saying that people don’t understand oxymorons or would be better off if they did understand them. I think the real underlying bit of wonderful here is that interest and even snippets of joy that comes from understanding a language really well. Now this is sounds linguistically elitist, I’m sure, but be assured that in no way am I discouraging people from learning only a bit of another language or trying to assert that English is better than other languages – again, totally untrue. I won’t go into a long spiel about the benefit of multi-lingualism but I will say that no matter how many languages – the ability for expression is not only empowering but it also, in my opinion, encourages more diverse and plentiful ideas and innovations.

How many times has some ingenious use of language inspired you? Sadly if you are only reading billboards this may not happen as often as you would like (or clearly, as I might like). So revel in the chances you get. It is a giant pinprick of light flooding an endless ocean – these linguistic lightning strikes in a curious mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment